Call for SEPM Student Councilor
Apply today! Application due May 31, 2021.
SEPM allocates one Council position to a student member. This position has all of the same voting rights as other Council positions. This position is filled from student member applicants by the Nominating Committee and the single applicant that is chosen is placed on the SEPM fall ballot for official approval by the SEPM voting membership. SEPM will reimburse Student Councilors for travel expenses to attend SEPM Council meetings. The term of office will start in January 2022 and be for three years. The student applicants should have an anticipated final graduation date of at least 2023 (final graduation date includes anticipated continued schooling beyond your current degree program, such as bachelors to masters to doctorate).
The responsibilities of the Student Councilor position include:
- Attending all regular (spring and fall) Council meetings and any specially called Council meetings.
- SEPM usually meets face to face
- during the spring at the ACE meeting, which is also the SEPM Annual Meeting and
- during the fall at the GSA Annual Meeting
- Accepting responsibility for special projects assigned by the President or Council.
- Chairing a committee of student members that stay abreast of any issues and events that are particularly significant to student members.
- Representing the needs and views of the Society’s student members to Council.
- In conjunction with the International Councilor and Early Career Councilor, fostering communications with the international community of student geoscientists regarding SEPM affairs.
- Serving on the Communication Committee.
Your application should include your school plans, including anticipated graduation dates and a 1-2 page statement as to why you want to be considered for the SEPM Student Councilor position.
Please send to Howard Harper, Executive Director by May 31, 2021